Thursday, April 15, 2010

As Promised, a 2nd entry this week


Well, as I said earlier, I am doing two posts this week to make up for being out of town last week for my grandmother's funeral. I was a bit unsure of what to write about this week, but I decided to blog about my thoughts on the potential of cyborgs. Like everybody else in the class, I pretty much used the terms "robot" and "cyborg" interchangeably. But, I was reminded of a great quote used by The Terminator in T3: Rise of the Machines when John Connor calls the Terminator a "Damn Robot" and the Terminator replies "Cybernetic Organism!" So, what are the possibilities of cyborgs? Could we create a half human, half cyborg organism that possesses superhuman strength and added memory and brain power? Well, yes, that does appear to be on the horizon. But, who will this technology be available to? Should it be limited? I believe those are some scary questions that need to answered moving forward. I believe this technology should only be used in instances where it could help someone with a disability, and that they should not enhance a person beyond "average" human capability. Otherwise, we could end up with something like Dr. Octopus at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment